FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com

Monday, March 28, 2005

he doesn't find me amusing

Read the Complete Interview Here

*note: after reading this interview, he has requested that i do him a "favor" and not contact him again. either he is very touchy, or i am a poor journalist.

So, what's it like being a rockstar? You guys have been creeping into the spotlight lately. I even saw you on some featured iTunes mix!

I wouldn't know what being a rockstar is like but yes, things have been going well for us lately. We've all been working our assess off for a long time, and we all believe in this and have all made a lot of sacrifices to keep doing it so its gratifying that things seem to be moving forward.

What are the best and worst things about being on tour?

Best thing - playing shows every night with 4 people who I love and respect, and meeting new people every night.

Worst things - having little to no control over where and when we eat and sleep.

And, mostimportantly, have you signed any women's breasts?

nope.

Who, in the music industry, do you look up to?

I used to work in the music industry. I learned a ton working for Ken Weinstein and Jim Merlis at Big Hassle Media, and they are both great people who pretty much cheered me on when I quit my job there to be able to devote more time to the band. And Jim has given me his Mets
tickets on occasion. I'll usually choose a Mets game over a rock show if given the option.

How about outside the industry?

Elliott Spitzer, Joe Biden, Al Franken, Brian Lehrer, Seymour Hersh, Philip Roth, Wes Anderson, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze... The list goes on.

Where would you like to see the band in five years?

Still together making records and touring for a living.

So your new album is in the works; what can your fans expect on this latest release? What were some of your inspirations, motivations, and good vibrations for its creation?

Emblems was the first record that I played on - even when I first heard Matt's demos (just acoustic guitar and vocals) I thought that there was something of a shift in the songwriting; nothing dramatically different, but everything was more immediate and direct both musically
and lyrically. I think the new record will take that shift a step further. There was a conscious effort to make this record more aggressive, with more songs with faster tempos, but its still us. I
think people who already like the band will be a bit surprised by parts of the new record but they will hopefully still like it. We did the bulk of the recording over a week of 12 hour days at Bearsville Studios in Woodstock. I was sick as hell the whole time and it was one of the best weeks of my life.

Is there a tentative release date?

Fall...

Any funny or fantastic stories of events during the recording process?

We just worked our asses off the entire time. We went to a bar one night and Matt sang Time after Time karaoke style.

Who do you think would win in a fight: Anne Coulter or Ellen DeGeneres?

I'd be rooting for Ellen but Anne Coulter is made of evil and would probably fight dirty, so I assume she would win.

Is it true that you are the real reason behind the Pitt/Aniston split?

I can't think of anything in the world I care about less than the personal lives of celebrities.

Describe a typical day in the life of Brian Pearl of matt pond PA.

When we're home its pretty boring. I work then go to the gym if I'm not being lazy and usually have band practice or something band-related at night. Sometimes that just consists of getting drunk with people I play music with. On tour, every day is identical: wake up hung over,
get in the van, arrive at the club, sound check, sit around, try and find something ok to eat, start drinking, play show, drink more, go to sleep.

What's your biggest pet peeve?

I have no idea. I don't get along very well with people who consider Fox News a legitimate place to find out what's going on in the world. Other than that, I don't know.

East Coast or West Coast?

Both. I'm from California and I've lived in New York for almost 9 years.

What are some of the bands you're listening to right....now!

Hayden, Daft Punk, R Kelly, Cam'Ron.

Who are your top 5 favorite bands at the moment?

I'm bad at these lists. These are just five bands I love in no particular order: Luna, Pavement, Broadcast, Blur, Pinback.

I have some embarrassing photos of your sweaty armpits. Will you be angry and/or sue me when I release them to the general public after you're rich and desired by the finest women in the land?

I doubt it.

Be honest; no one important will read this interview. Does Hartford really suck?

We didn't really have much fun there.

Do you enjoy the smell of Windex?

I hate it actually.

Did you feel as awkward as I did as you half-walked me to my car after the Pixies show?

That's a pretty bizarre question to ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home